Friday, November 25, 2011

Family, Turkey

We had a great Thanksgiving. It was stress free and drama free, the best kind. We drove out to my sister's house, hit no traffic, ate way too much good food, and had two very well behaved kids. On the downside, we didn't take any family pictures :( boo.

Family has been a very "hot" topic for us/me lately. I have been reading some really good books, and the more I learn, the more I want apply it to my family/ children. When I was a child, my parent divorced at a young age, I lived with my mom and she played the role of both father and mother. Jacob on the other hand, parents are still married. He had a great example of how a family should ideally work. Finding balance on how Jacob and I were raised verses how we want to raise our children, and how we can be the best parents is a process.

I really do enjoy learning the different ways and styles of parenting. I do have to remind myself not to compare myself and my style to others. What works for me, may not always be the "right" way for someone else. I still don't even really know what I am doing. But I do pray for wisdom and guidance on what to do and how to do it.

Letting go of the little things has been so challenging and yet so freeing for me. I decided if it is going to have the same outcome, why stress over it. Like walking to the car: Hannah loves to stop and enjoy life, look at the leaves, jump off the steps and say "bye bye" to EVERYTHING. Bye trees, bye leaves, bye house.... so cute, but when we need to go somewhere and I am carrying a heavy baby Noah in the car seat it doesn't make for a very happy mommy. It was making me stressed out just trying to get from point A to point B. But I started to think about it, does it really take sooo much more time for her to stop and enjoy life, why does it stress me out, it was just silly. I have embraced Hannah for who she is, and let her take the time to enjoy life, and it makes me slow down a little bit too.

I think there is a reoccurring theme of my life... Slow down and enjoy it more.

We are getting our tree soon, so hopefully some pictures will be up soon. Enjoy!

No comments: